Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Night weaning

 I am so tired. This is more than the average tired I face everyday, this is night weaning tired. Yes, I am night weaning my 13 month old. This is my second attempt. I tried when Baby Dude was 11 months but two days in he got sick and I felt guilty, so I caved. This time however I am sticking to it ( I hope!). I nursed him at 11:15pm when I got home from work and then after I put him down and I put on a t-shirt (I otherwise always wear tank tops for easy access) to ensure
  His will is certainly stronger than mine. He put up quite a fight the first time he woke up and I didn't give him the boobie. He practically threw himself off the bed as I tried my best to soothe him. He was MAD! I felt for a moment like maybe, I couldn't get through this but i stuck to my guns. After several brutal minutes of tantruming I said a quick prayer for my stamina and for Dude's comfort. Eventually my determination won and he passed out in my arms. What a huge relief. I felt like this was a small victory. One of many I hope to win through this process. He woke up only one other time and the tantrum was half the time before he passed out again. My husband did snore him awake one other time but it wasn't as hard to soothe Baby Dude as if he woke up wanting boobie. Around 6am when he woke up I told him "Yay, the sun is up! You made it!" but I was really thinking "Thank the Lord, I made it!" then I gave him boobie and he passed out in the happiest milk coma I have ever seen. I decided that if the sun was up, he could have boobie. I even sung him a silly song I made up to let him know that boobies sleep until the sun comes up, a tip I learned on a night weaning website about talking to him about it during the day.
  So, night one of night weaning is over and I am totally exhausted and sleep deprived. But, all this will eventually win me more sleep in the future so it will (hopefully) be worth it. I feel a sense of freedom in completing the hardest part of the process, getting through the first night. I hope tonight and the rest of the week goes just as smoothly. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment