Thursday, April 2, 2009

Soccer mom coming through


Ok so, none of my kids are in soccer but I think I qualify for the title "Soccer Mom". A title I can honestly say I am shocked to fit into. I think when I hear the term "Soccer Mom" I picture a frumpy older minivan driving stressed out woman with a kid in each arm, and one clutching a leg, driving the kids around for all those kid things. I created a little drawing of what a tired soccer om might look like. So, ok most of that is me, I do drive a minivan and occasionally drag a child around by my leg (or else it feels that way) and I do drive the kids around for every little event under the sun. The kicking baby, the tantrum, the apparent lack of sleep in my eyes. Yep, that's me. I just feel like maybe I am the atypical version of the classic Soccer mom. (I like to see myself as an individual, doesn't everyone?). Maybe Soccer mom with a cool twist. I can deal with that. I have that bumper sticker on the back of my minivan to remind me just in case I start to forget. It says "I may drive a minivan but I still Rock!". It's all to let all those on the road know that this minivan is being driven by someone awesome (please let me have my delusions).
Sometimes, I am not as well groomed as I'd like but I try to pull myself together before I leave the house. I shamefully have been known to go grocery shopping in pjs however and some days I squeak by without a shower. Ahhh, That's motherhood at it's finest. But seriously between cooking cleaning, refereeing, and the occasional though not at all private, potty breaks when am I supposed to fit in grooming? Let's not forget the fact that I am a traveling milk bar for a very clingy 1 year old. I am constantly running to pick up kids from after school activities, driving to talent shows, musical events, Romp N Roll, doctor's appointments, and church events. I think that alone throws me into the "Soccer Mom" category. Add all that stuff previously mentioned and Kapow! I guess I am a Soccer Mom after all!
What does it all mean for me? I am living a life I could have never pictured in a million years. Now, don't get me wrong this is just where I want to be. I absolutely love being a stay at home mom whose career is in the hands of those who don't wash their own. I love picking up after a family that should be picking up after themselves and driving to all the events that almost slipped my mind until the last possible minute. The stress is manageable and the kids may actually become self sufficient adults one day. I know how fast it goes so I am just enjoying it now. No, this is never what I pictured but when has my life ever been what I pictured anyway? I think this is better. I get to give my kids the very best gift of all, me! I am there for all their needs and they get my love, attention and time, and when they really start driving me crazy I can always beg dady to take them to the park.

1 comment:

  1. I agree...being a mom and getting to stay home with our kids is the absolute BEST...I wouldn't want it any other way. :)

    ReplyDelete